March is a great month- flowers are starting to bloom and temperatures are getting warmer with the start of Spring!
March is also National Nutrition Month– and what better way to make a dedication to your health than by taking the Ask, Listen, Learn pledge to say YES to a healthy lifestyle and NO to underage drinking?
Living a healthy lifestyle has many parts: getting good grades in school, choosing the right kind of friends, staying active and exercising at least 60 minutes every day…
Feeding your body the nutrition it needs to perform at its best is important when you’re growing up. Fuel your muscles, brain and bones right with these 5 nutrition tips to think about this month:
1) Choose whole grain bread, pasta and rice for more fiber than white bread, pasta and rice
2) 3 servings of dairy a day gives you the calcium and vitamin D needed for strong bone health
3) Make your plate colorful! Try spinach, red peppers, sweet potatoes…the darker the color the more nutrients a vegetable has!
4) Protein helps your muscles grow and keeps you fuller longer- incorporate lean meats, fish and nuts/seeds into your meals and snacks
5) Limit junk food and sweets…remember that everything you put in to your body fuels your brain and muscles and can affect your performance in school and on the sports field!